There are a lot of people who are still using PowerBooks today. They do so even though these computers are getting more and more obsolete with each season. The fact that they run a lot slower than modern computers and that they are virtually useless when it comes to other applications, cannot erase the fact that they were very innovative during their time.
Some owners are still using their PowerBooks for simple purposes such as web browsing, checking of emails and other functions that would not require too much computing power. The problem is that these computers are bound to break down. So what can you do in case your PowerBook starts slowing down all of a sudden?
You can get a computer repairs expert to work on it, but they would probably charge you a lot since your computer is very obsolete. It would help then if you know some steps on how you can repair your PowerBooks without having to consult a technician.
Here are some of the steps that you can follow in fixing your PowerBook. We will focus here if your PowerBook is running a lot slower than normal.
- Your computer might be burdened with a lot of errors and cache that has accumulated over time. The best way to deal that is to run third party programs such as Onyx which can deal with and delete all of that.
- You should run disk utility regularly. You can do that by looking for “Disk Utility” which is under “Utilities” which is in turn under the Applications folder. You can then choose the option that says verify disk. If there are any errors detected by the system, you ought to get an option to correct it.
- Probably the best way that you can do in order to repair your PowerBook’s slowness is to upgrade its memory. You should also include the hard drive in the upgrade as well. The new hard drive can read files a lot faster than the old one.
- You should leave some unused space on your hard drive. That leaves room for it to operate properly. It is usually recommended that 10 gigabytes of hard drive space should be left unused.
- You can use the Activity monitor which can also be found in the Utilities folder to monitor all of the programs that are being run by the computer. You can then pick some that are not so important and close them down.
The Powerbook line of laptop computers was the series that came before the release of the MacBook Pro and the MacBook. They were produced by Apple from 1991 to 2006. When it comes to design and computing power these devices actually set the standard that was followed by the rest of the industry. They incorporated revolutionary design concepts on the devices.
There are still a lot of users of Powerbooks today. Like other devices that have been made by Apple, it is totally dependable and reliable. That’s why it still has a lot of satisfied fans and users who have remained loyal to it.
How to Clean Your Power Book- Here are some general steps that you can follow when it comes to cleaning your PowerBook:
- First of all you have to shut down the computer. This is an important safety step as well as a measure for ensuring that the computer will not get damaged during the cleaning process.
- You can then remove the battery of the device. Be sure that you follow the instructions on how you can remove it safely without causing any damage to it.
- You can then use a soft cloth that is a little damp in order to clean the outside of the device. Wipe it gently. The important thing here is to ensure that the cloth is not too damp.
- You have to make sure that no moisture will get into the openings of the device.
- Stay away from sprays and other liquids when cleaning your Powerbook. That would increase the likelihood that some form of moisture would get into the opening of the device and cause damage to it.
- You should also stay away from using any kind of abrasive on the device or any form of solvent. That could cause damage on the material used for the surface of the device.
- When you are going to clean the screen of your device, you ought to follow the same procedure, but the only difference is that when you are wiping the screen, you should make sure that it is only damp in water and not some other chemical. As with the body of the device you should not spray anything directly on the screen.
These are the steps that you can follow when it comes to cleaning your Powerbook. It is an excellent device that can last for a couple of more years, if you know just how to take care of it.
The PowerBook is one of the most revolutionary lines of laptops to have been released in the market. It actually revolutionized the laptop industry when it came out. This line of laptops was produced from the early 90s up until 2006 when the MacBook line came out to replace it. By then it has made its mark.
The PowerBook was actually geared towards professionals because it was a high performance device when compared with the other laptops that were available back then. The original series of PoweBooks used the PowerPC G4 processor which caused some problems with the devices. The later versions were Intel-powered, which eliminated most of the initial problems with the device.
Uses of a PowerBook- We have mentioned that the PowerBooks were something new when they came out. They set a new standard in the way that laptops were created. Their most lasting influence however was in the way that the devices were designed. They featured design concepts that are still in use today.
They were used mostly by professionals back then. Almost all kinds of professionals started using them. Web designers most especially who used programs like Dreamweaver on the devices, in order to create websites. That was the fastest laptop that is available on the planet back then.
Things have changed now of course and the specs of the PowerBook G4 with 1GB of RAM and 60GB hard drive sounds ridiculously low tech now, in this age of high end devices. So even if you update your old PowerBook if it is still running and update it with the latest version software, the device would still too inadequate for a task such as designing websites.
Uses for Your Old PowerBook- This does not mean that you would have to get rid of the laptop however. There is still an amazing list of things that you can do with it. Here are some of the tasks that you can do with your old PowerBook:
- Browsing- You can still do some simple browsing with your old laptop. You can visit websites and watch online videos with it.
- Typing- You can use a simple word processor on the device and it would not have a hard time accomplishing it.
- Watching Disks- You can watch your favourite DVD on it.
- Email- You can use it for your email and keeping updated with your email.
- Music- You can use several kinds of media player on it for playing music.
In short, for simple and uncomplicated computing tasks you can rely on your old PowerBook to do it for you. In fact the first developers of Oneflare used PowerBooks to get it up and running.
Apple is riding high these days. It is one of the most valuable companies in the world today. Even at the time of its founding, it has always been a company marked by a great amount of success. Though it has experienced great lows as well and it did face the danger of completely failing at some point, the company has managed to bounce back.
What is the key to the company’s success? The answer is simple; it’s the products that they are offering. Since Steve Wozniak came up with the first Apple computer, things have never been the same. Now with the iPhone and iPad the company has proven again that it can create high quality products that can set a new standard. In between that however the company was also able to offer something innovative. Before all the MacBook Pros and iMacs there was the PowerBook.
The Powerbook ranks as one of the most influential line of laptops ever. Its design and other features have influenced other manufacturers and have turned them into industry standards. By the time when it was phased out it has indeed left its mark.
Technology Behind the PowerBook- More than the design of the PowerBook, what really set it apart was the technology used in it. Like other devices from Apple what was inside is the real thing that made the difference. One of the biggest technical innovations of the series was the PowerBook 165c which was one of the first portable computers to be equipped with a colour screen. That might not sound like much now, but it sure was a great deal back then.
The first PowerBooks utilized the Motorola 68k-family processor which gave them tremendous computing power and advantage over other computers. The PowerBook 500 series that came out introduced a new feature that has since been used by other companies. That feature is the trackpad which is now the standard for laptops. A highly anticipated and landmark model was the PowerBook 5300, this was the first Apple laptop to use the much vaunted computer architecture called the PowerPC. The model was plagued by several problems but in the long run it did prove to be popular.
But the PowerBook G4 was perhaps the high watermark of the series. It was created under the eye of Steve jobs, who became CEO again of the company that helped to found. It was a titanium skin laptop that offered a lot more than the common computers back then.
Before there iMacs and MacBook Pros there was the PowerBook. This was the line of laptops that were made by Apple from 1991 up until the release of the first MacBook in 2006. Like almost all of the products by the company, these devices were unique in their own right and they have left their own mark in the computer industry.
Apple made these computers for 15 years and during that time they came up with several models grouped under several series. If you are not familiar with this line of laptops then we have a list here of the different types of PowerBooks that were made by the company.
100 Series- These were the earliest PowerBooks that were released by Apple. There were initially three models under it. These were the PowerBook 100 which was the low end model, the PowerBook 140 which has more computing power and the high end PowerBook 170. The PowerBook 170 was the only one of the three models that was equipped with a matrix type of display. This first series astonished the market. Their compact design and unique appearance was soon imitated by other manufacturers. The most unique thing about their design was the way that the keyboard was oriented.
PowerBook Duo- A year after the release of the 100 Series, Apple came up with the PowerBook Duo. This device was a hybrid, it was a portable desktop. It can be used like a laptop but then it could be connected with input and output devices including a larger monitor.
500 Series- Apple released the next series of PowerBooks in the form of the 500 series. These devices all used the Motorola 68LC0401. In appearance they were thinner and slicker than the first series and in performance, a lot faster.
PowerPC-Based PowerBooks- The whole 500 series was discontinued when Apple came up with the PowerPC-Based PowerBooks. The company faced a problem however when the model for the series, the PowerBook 5300 showed a lot of problems. That was resolved with the introduction into the market of three more PowerBooks. These are the PowerBook 1400, PowerBook 2400 and the PowerBook 3400 which was considered to be the luxury model of the series.
PowerBook G3- This series was released in 1998 and it became so popular and fashionable. It was released at almost the same time as the G3 iMac.
PowerBook G4- This was the final series for the PowerBook before it was discontinued by Apple. Steve Jobs had a hand in its design and it would sport the first signs of the look that all Apple products would have in the future.